Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wilting hot

DSC01451

The July weather has really settled in along the river, shimmering off the streets and glinting off the water.

Air conditioning is not the norm in Maastricht: the apartment temperature is controlled by strategically manipulating the windows and lighting.  Metal shutters are installed on every window ( a rarity in the US), and I make the rounds a few times a day to crank them up and down to keep the direct sun out of the rooms.   Still, without a breeze, there is only so much that can be done, and by 5 pm the battle is often lost.

The rains are supposed to return tomorrow and cool things down through the (shhh…4th of July) weekend.  I need to crutch out and do a bit of shopping ahead of an expat bar-b-q that I’m looking forward to.  And there is the endless, yet wonderful work of starting the new business.

   If only ING could get their act together: 30 business days now since the initial account application, and the BVio is still waiting until I can send money *to* the bank.

PS: My US attorney just wrote to say ‘ … you are certainly missing the sun over here.’  Serendip.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy the BBQ & happy 4th of July! Your photo reminded me that I need to water my plants inside of the house today ;-)

July 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger patti said...

It's cold and cloudy here,but I'm sitting on the deck enjoying the lake breeze anyway. I'm happy everything is gong well for you. (I guess you have a. We email address?)

July 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger patti said...

should say "new email address"

Geeze, iPhones with touch screenscan be annoying.

July 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger The Blue Suitcase said...

I miss J4! I had forgotten about it until my husband reminded me yesterday that a holiday weekend was beginning back home. We'll see if we can pull together a blueberry pie this weekend. (And, as I am a Seattleite, I must add: if I have to move to Amsterdam for sunny weather on the Fourth, first of all that's unexpected, and second, will do!)

July 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Isabella, I think mine are just in a defensive crouch behind the shutters. By late evenng, they are perked up with leaves outstretched again. I thnk that we just share a metamorphesis in late afternoon.

July 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Patti, thanks for the note: a lake evening sounds wonderful. The old work e-mail is gone, but try david.r.hampton at live dot com? I'll catch up soon, have a happy 4th.

July 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks, Bonnie, we pulled together a cake after I had to give up on making cupcakes. I imported premium SW Bar-b-q sauce for a friend a few years ago to make the 4th authentc for the Dutch. I'm not sure that they ever really got the whole concept though... Have a good celebration!

July 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home