Thursday, June 25, 2009

First looks at the new foot

Post-Swss ‘looks like it all paid off…

Two weeks after the procedure to correct my left foot, I went back to the doctor’s office to remove the cast and see how things had turned out.  It’s a bit of a tense time: the toes are pointing the right way out the tip of the cast, but how are the joints, the tendons, the nerves, the alignment?

Thankfully, it all looked great.  The foot is clearly back beneath me where it belongs, and I’ve got good sensation across the base. The joints appear functional on the x-rays, it looks like I’ll have more degrees of freedom than  might have expected, good omen for getting back into (mild) hiking and sailing.

The doctor was delighted with his handwork and asked if he could send copies of the case report and x-rays to his mentor in the US (who did my first-round surgery 12 years ago).  A good sign.

So, I’m in a boot for the next month, no more than 15 kg pressure, give things a chance to heal and anchor.  Then some physical therapy to get the joints moving and the muscles strengthened, learn to use the new arrangement, and I’m good as new by mid-August.

…maybe better.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

June 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home