Monday, June 15, 2009

Back on-line

Hi, all, I’m back, bonded with my computer and catching up with e-mail and everyone’s blog updates.  It will take most of the week, I’m sure, but wanted to give a quick update on things as I got back on-line.

Some of you know that I’ve had a major misalignment of my left foot for several years caused by a congenital muscle condition: it’s made it increasingly difficult to walk and to do the things that I want to be dong.  For the past year, I’ve been looking for an orthopedic surgeon who could get things fixed, and found a good one in Switzerland.  I had to set up the insurance and find six weeks of time-off to get the procedure done, heal properly, and get through the physical therapy.

So, things came together last week, and I had the surgery done on Wednesday.  Everything went well, and I’m out of the hospital and recovering nearby.  The physician took a lot of time to preserve the nerve function, make the most of the tendons, and save the viable joints, so it ended up being a fairly extensive procedure.  But we hope that it will give more lasting mobility and strength to the ankle, and restore function to be out hiking and sailing later this summer.

The outcome looks promising and it’s good to have the procedure  behind me: ‘lots to catch up on in the coming days.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jul said...

Best of luck with your recovery! I suppose there are worse places to hang out while you heal.

June 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks for the good wishes: I'm doing well!

This is, indeed, among the best places to not-do-anything that I've found. You are so lucky to have this all nearby

June 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home