Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Off to a wobbly Monday; better Tuesday

DSC00550 Stitch The last day on the prior job was Friday, the first day beyond was was Monday.  It was not a good beginning…

I have thought a lot about how my work life ought to change.  I would hope to take on more projects that were interesting, work with creative and insightful people, and focus on executing great product concepts.  I want to get more balance into my personal life, making time for social pursuits, sailing, writing, travel, teaching, study, drawing and watercolors, exercise, reading, learning Dutch.

‘never at a loss for ambition….but it’s also a measure of how unbalanced things have again drifted.

Instead, the day was filled with setting up the books and paying the bills for the new business, pasting the receipts, and doing the filing.  There were two presentations to research and to create, new phones to be set up, and tax numbers to arrange.  It filled the day.

Working from the apartment is not an easy routine yet: it is a bit too much of a not-work place.  It may be time to register with the library to get a bit more focused environment until I decide about getting an office.

I was also bedeviled by the ruthless efficiency of the corporation in cutting things off: calling my landlady to terminate the lease, sending a reminder of property to turn in as I leave (including any business cards and company stationary), scissoring my Amex card in front of me, and cutting off my e-mail and literature access in the middle of preparation for an outside lecture that they asked me to give.

I understand, it’s business, but it forced me to stay up until 1 am scrambling to find material from other sources, and to send new contact information to the support people that I rely on to wrap up the expatriate contract here.  Pointless stress.

In the end, I realize that I have to do better, and did. 

The lectures went well today, I DSC00536 Stitch2handed the business records off to the bookkeeper, and I resolved to let the corporate parent cut the cords one by one without complaint. A couple of contacts interested in working together came in, and the insurance company is progressing in their dance with the surgical hospital in Switzerland.

  And, at the end of this day, there was time for Pimms, friends, and watching the sunset.

This will all work out…

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Textual Healer said...

Heavy times. You have my sympathy. I thought you had a new office sorted (and it sounded like an ideal arrangement). Good luck with it all.

June 4, 2009 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks for the note: I think it just suddenly hits when they start cutting up cards and cutting off access.

Things look much more promising now, but I still want to try to lock down revenue ahead of expenses. Since the post, I've found out that I get temporary office space as part of outplacement, so I'll begin with that and plan a formal move in August if I'm taking in enough to cover the expense. I don't need a lot: I think $500 per month excess would do it.

I'll e-mail shortly; thanks!

June 5, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home