Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Resolving to be better

maslow

By the end of 2009….

Physiological

  • I will take time for rest and relaxation; giving myself permission to slow down or enjoy open space.
  • I will have fixed my left foot.
  • I’ll have spent more days than not with regular exercise and good diet, and I won’t feel guilty about the lapses.
  • I’ll have done what I need to do to maintain health and wellness for the long term, even if it means risk management and preventative care.

Safety

  • I will find my place in the world and settle there.
  • I will find financial security or stop worrying about it and downscale my aspirations.
  • I will know when to stop, rather than conquering every challenge.
  • I will overcome haste and distraction when I drive.

Belonging

  • I will strengthen my connections with the positive people  in my life and eliminate some negative ones.
  • Wherever I end up, I will find ways to join the community other than just hanging out with people from work.
  • I will be proud of how I conduct my relationships.
  • I will spend more time with my children and my parents, because neither is going to be around forever.

Esteem

  • I’ll have finished the Stanford classes that have been left undone for years.
  • I’ll stay informed and engaged in the wider world, reading, writing, and collaborating with artists and scientists in hilltop retreats.
  • I’ll nurture my relationship with (and give back to) Cambridge, because its always going to be a touchstone.
  • I’ll understand spoken Dutch, not just written messages.
  • I will make a habit of speaking truth to authority.
  • I’ll have crossed the boundary between life as it is today and life as it must become tomorrow.  It sounds vague, but I know exactly what I mean, and I diminish as a person every day that I put it off.

Self-actualization

  • I’ll better balance, or at least better divide, my work and non-work lives.
  • I’ll have an outlet for my ambition, creatively engaged in meaningful, constructive entrepreneurship.  I’ve put it off for too long and I can’t wait too many more tomorrows.
  • I’ll have scratched my itch for sailing, writing, art, travel, and reading, although it will never be satisfied.

Footnote:  I’ve always enjoyed reading Maslow and Jung on the nature of human potential, and when I reflect on changes that I need to make in my life, I can always look to their thoughts to stimulate my own.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto my last comment here ;-)

February 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

This pyramid looks so different from the one adapted to be used in the field of elementary education. I use my version to reflect on each kid in my room and their needs, it never occured to me to do a personal reflection...an idea that comes from wisdom, no doubt.

February 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Hi, Patti, The idea came from two directions. There is the notion that it's better to say what you want to be in a year rather than something you're going to do. That way, at least I feel like I can adapt to changing circumstances or opportunities. I like Maslow's approah because that way I don't overlook the basics that I have to keep in order no matter where I live.

Now all I have to do is make good on the intentions...I'll let you know if, in a year, I've exhibited wisdom or not...

February 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home