Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One lap around the lake

Lake geneva I had meetings at the corporate HQ near Lausanne yesterday, a good chance to reconnect with the European folks after the visit to the US headquarters last week.  There really is a different style and attitude to the facility, mirroring the differences between US and European cultures.

The meetings ended early, leaving me with a few hours to drift before my departure.  Lake Geneva was tempting me for an adventure: a bit of mist lay over the water and fresh snow had fallen on the east-end mountains.  Why not?  The roads were clear and dry, traffic was light, and it turned out to be a lovely crisp day to take in the perspectives.  And it was a chance to swing through  Montreux, famous for skiing and jazz.Geneva 16 Geneva 26 Geneva 28

I hadn’t realized that the south rim of the lake was much more rural than the north side.  Evian is the only major city, surrounded by rolling farms along the hills and quiet little stone villages reflecting in the water.  Maybe it’s all just the French ownership of that shore that keeps it that way. Geneva 30 Geneva 33

The stores are full of Nouveau Beaujolais (the young red wine from the last harvest), Emmental Swiss cheese, and thick pates.  The prices are ridiculously low by Dutch standards: Two bottles of wine, a kilo of cheese, and 500 kg of pate was 25 euro.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Patti said...

Oh how stunning! I live near a lake, but it's not at all lke that one.
(Thanks for your encouraging comment. I'm really fine, the phone rang all day with an unprecedented amount of bad new yesterday. Oh, how long before boys turn human? Mine is 15.)

January 28, 2009 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

(like and news...I hate my keyboard.)

January 28, 2009 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

It was a nice day; I imagine it would be amazing in the summer on a clear day (or skiing from the tops). I wish I could offer more hope for the 15-year-old: they just have to grow through it all. Mine was a real trial at that age, but has really turned back into a delight again (at 21). Hang in there, and keep it all in perspective...

January 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Beaujolais, cheese and paté, especially at those prices, sound divine! Paired with the beautiful scenery, it sounds like a decent trip.

January 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks for the comment: I'm hearing that pate has a four-day shelf life, even in the 'fridge, so I'm trying to decide whether I can freeze a bit or I need to eat faster :) I do like the prices and selection in France / French Switzerland, though...

January 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home