Monday, October 5, 2009

I'm not leaving (thanks for asking)

I've arrived in Chicago; crowded plane over this morning but I got a solid eight hours work done and was feeling pretty bouyant on landing.  I checked into the hotel and changed, then met the client group for a late lunch. They were local, one had moved around a bit, they were interested that I live in the Netherlands.  "Why?" is always the first question; "When are you moving back?" is always the second.
Maybe I need a better answer to the first question.
But, seriously, I'm getting tired of the second.  People generally live somewhere other than where they were born or grew up, and have gravitated to their current residence for a job, a neighborhood, or a lifestyle. Yet, nobody asks when they are leaving. Living globally, though, it's always a question.

It may be heightened by my age and circumstances, I suppose. If I moved over on a job assignment, then I'd naturally return when it was over. If I was having a midlife crisis, maybe I'd have come to my senses.  If I was serious about my patron, I'd move closer to his location.

Twice this past week, clients have suggested that our relationship eventually depends on my willingness to move. My next 'o kin asked it when I was at the reunion. My corporate parent insisted on it before I left; even the Dutch were confused that I wouldn't want to go back when the division was closed. (My landlady has told me to move within 6 months, but that's different).
Seriously: I'm not moving.  'really.  I like it here; I'll make things work for everyone.
(Oh, and the answer to the first question is "I like the Dutch, the balance in life and the opportunities: I've set up my business here and my connections are all local now.  It's been a great place to live and, with the kids grown, it's been a wonderful choice."  I wonder if that is how Gauguin talked about Tahiti?)

Art credit: Sarah Bishop.  She does lots of wonderful works: her website is worth a browse.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Textual Healer said...

I get that question all the time too.. Of course i am close to teh majority of my client group here.

October 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks for the comment: I can certainly see see where my travel expenses and time differences are a burden for a small clients.

For example, air travel every couple of months adds up be to 10K$ per year vs 2K$ if I was in the US. This difference is a double-digit potion of what I earn and is clearly just a luxury if I'm not adding proportionate value from being based here.

But I think that means that there are clients who are a fit for wwhat I offer, and others who are not: it doesn't make me wrong to be here.

October 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We get those questions a lot, too. Everyone always seems quite surprised when we say we're here for the foreseeable future. At least the Dutch look pleasantly surprised when we say it. ;)

October 13, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home