Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anglo-Dutch translation guide

What the British say.

What the British mean.

What the Dutch understand.

I hear what you say. I disagree and do not want to discuss it any further. He accepts my point of view.
With the greatest respect… I think you are wrong (or a fool). He is listening to me.
That’s not bad. That’s good or very good. That’s poor or mediocre.
Quite good A bit disappointing Quite good
Perhaps you would like to think about…
/ I would suggest…
That is an order. Do it or be prepared to justify yourself. Think about the idea, but do what you like.
When appropriate locally… Do what you like. Do it if you can.
Oh, by the way… / Incidentally… The primary purpose of our discussion is… This is not very important.
I was a bit disappointed that… / It is a pity you… I am most upset and cross. It doesn’t really matter.
Very interesting… I don’t agree / don’t believe you. They are impressed.
Could we consider some more options? I don’t like your idea. They have not yet decided.
I’ll bear it in mind. I will do nothing about it. They will probably do it.
Please think about that some more. It’s a bad idea; don’t do it. It’s a good idea; keep developing it.
I’m sure it’s my fault. It is your fault ! It was their fault.
That is an original point of view. You must be crazy. They like my ideas !
You must come for dinner sometime. Not an invitation, just being polite. I will get an invitation soon.
You’ll get there eventually. You don’t stand a chance in hell. Keep on trying for they agree I’m heading in the right direction.
I almost agree. I don’t agree at all. He’s not far from agreement.

posted on my office wall by the prior tenant.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great list! Thanks for sharing this :-) Great with my coffee this morning & a good laugh!

Have a great weekend!

April 17, 2009 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Thanks, it's been nice despite the rain! lots of catching up to do, though....

April 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Anonymous faye said...

Nice post.Great idea here.It shows how rich could a literature be in terms of translation.Through translating shows the rich blend of knowledge and culture in a society.Whether in Dutch translation or in any foreign language translation helps one to get acquainted with the thoughts, traditions, principles and actions of the people from the region.

January 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home