Monday, May 12, 2008

Change of scenery

I was feeling a bit stale, and it was showing.

I haven't been able to talk about the potential work issues over the past months, so there was a bit of backlog to clear when I finally could.  Now, most of what I had bottled is now poured.

Still, it's been an immersion, and by Saturday, I decided that it was time to air out.  I pointed the car south and didn't stop, well, until I hit Luxembourg.

'not as crazy as it sounds; I hadn't been there yet, it's a reasonable distance away (only a few hour's drive), and has reasonable size to cover in a couple of days.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous, and the hills and mountains of the Grand Duchy were breathtaking.  I wandered in from the northwest towards Clervaux, then down the center through the Ardennes to Luxembourg City.  Overnight there, then out to the Moselle valley vinyards, then back up to the Diekirch War Museum.  Finally, out east through the forests, chateaus, and mountains towards Bitburg.

I give Luxembourg high marks: wonderful natural beauty and a variety of scenery, history, and cities to visit. Above all, it was great to disconnect and to explore, even if only for a long holiday weekend.

a - Luxembourg Ardennes 122 b - Luxembourg Clervaux 2 c - Luxembourg City 26 c - Luxembourg City 52

d - Moselle Valley Vinyards 11 e - Diekirch War Museum 12

f - Beaufort Chateau 07 h - Bollendorf 5

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger AB said...

Luxembourg was my first solo trip back when I spent a few college months in the Netherlands (Groningen) in 1994. I loved it - such a cute town, especially the old buidlings built into the side of the valley down below that bridge in the picture. I distinctly remember the feather beds in the hostel I stayed at too - most comfortable bed I think I have EVER slept in!

May 14, 2008 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger AB said...

Sorry - I said town, meaning I stayed in the town but didn't see the rest of the country other than from the train.

May 14, 2008 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

I tossed a few more up on Flickr last night: I didn't expect it to be such a walled fortress. There wasn't time to climb down to the valley and see the plaza and old town down there, but I imagine that the streets and shops have a lot of charm. The upper old-city is more shops and plazas, but still a perfect break.

It's hard to imagine the fighting that took place north of there during the second world war. I visited the Diekirch Museum and it's hard to reconcile the desperate pictures with the same villages I passed through.

I found your 'Neck of the Woods' blog (finally) and have been catching up with your writing. There are some nice essays in there: I'm (of course) mulling a reply to your reflections on time in the Netherlands. I always liked Central Oregon: we lived in the Tri -Cities back in the 80s and always used to drive up the Gorge and down your way for holidays. The Pacific Northwest is one of the best places in the US.

May 14, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home