Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back from Geneva

DSC06597' Back from a short trip down to Geneva to pitch our new idea to some interventional cardiologists at the University Hospital. The weather was terrible: low clouds, blowing cold, spitting rain.  But the city must be beautiful in the summer between the lake and the mountains. I'll need to plan a trip back when spring settles.

My RSS aggregator, NetVibes, was down for a scheduled upgrade when I returned.  The four-hour outage turned into three days, so there wasn't much to do  to catch up with other people's blogs except to wait.  It was nice to have access back this morning, and to catch up with everyone's thoughts and stories over coffee.  It's much better than wrestling with the morning newspaper.

KLM's in-flight magazine had a wonderful photo essay by Anton Corbijn featuring pictures of rock and roll musicians.image  I was a disk jockey, then program director, at WRVU back in the 70's, so a lot of the groups and people that he highlighted were familiar to me.  I was really struck by two of the pictures:  the first was one that he made of U2, Fathers and Sons.  It's remarkable for having each band imagemember alongside his parent: the resemblances and mannerisms are worth a close look.  The second was a casual picture of Janice Joplin by Jim Marshall: it really is full of life yet captures the easy attitude that would lead to her tragedy.

My project engineers finished work on our prototype device this week, so we went out to the de Bourgondier Restaurant in Wehl to celebrate.  This is a "Dutch Buffet", one price gives access to a wide array of typical Netherlands cold hors d'ouvres, cooked items, soups, and desserts.  It was a good chance to explore a variety of foods, not all great, but I did make some discoveries that I really liked.  It's got an "English Pub" sort of atmosphere, close, dark, antique, and warm, and made for a fun evening together.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Textual Healer said...

Do you know there is an overnight train straight from Arnhem to Basel/Zurich? A great way to travel and not too expensive

April 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

No, you're right, though. I fall into bad habits because of work: they pay for planes and subsidize my driving.

You're absolutely right that I should patronize the trains more than I do: I really want to go down that direction next month, and I promise (myself) to look into the alternatives.

April 25, 2008 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger AB said...

So you left us hanging....which buffet items did you like/not like?

Just stumbled on your blog from Jenn's. I love reading about life in the NL. Makes me want to go visit again!

April 25, 2008 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Dave Hampton said...

Ab, Welcome!

I didn't note all the Dutch names: the cold starters included a rolled, cured ham around a vegetable filling that was really good (I think I ate a half dozen of those), and several of the dishes of stewed or braised beef were good.

The liver was strong and the sauce couldn't help the taste or texture (in fairness, I don't like liver and onions at home either, but these were whole livers). The fish fillets were mushy and the sauce just turned it into a paste rather than a textured piece.

April 27, 2008 at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home